Kiasuisms & Uncivilisms.
Saturday, December 27, 2008
Have you ever wondered why we have 5 fingers on each hand?
Neither have I.
Moving on,
I went to IKEA with my family today. My mum wanted to check some things out for our new house, which we will be moving into in April. So, we headed off to Bedok Interchange and waited for the shuttle service to IKEA. While waiting, i saw a throng of people waiting in the same bustop. After a few minutes, the shuttle bus arrived, and to my horror, the throng began to rush up to the bus, even before the doors are opened. To make things worse, the bus isn't even along the yellow line that marks the bustop boundary. I told myself, "My god. Kiasu people..."
It surprises me how "Kiasu" Singaporeans can get. I don't get why getting the seats or even boarding the bus first makes a big difference in their lives. Some of you guys may say that they have the type A personality, whereby they are the competitive type of people, always rushing to get what they want. So, if that's the case, does it mean that majority of Singaporeans are Type A people? And even if you say that they are competitive, do we have the education system or working condition in Singapore to blame? Seriously, I don't get it.
Note that i used MAJORITY in the third last line of the previous paragraph. Why did i use said word? I believe that some of the Singaporeans are not "Kiasu" at all. They are more laid back, and they are willing to wait. They seem to have the saying PATIENCE IS VIRTUE etched deeply in their cranium. Surprisingly, these people are the educated ones, or even some old people. I'm not saying that the younger people and those less educated are "Kiasu". It's just that these people have a greater propensity to become "kiasu". And that conclusion is made from years of observation here in the Sunny island.
Now let's talk about Singaporeans and their mannerisms. The other day, i went back to school for my dance practice. Later on i went off for my friday prayers with luqman. As we were walking back to the Interchange at AMKhub, Luqman was telling me about hi s experience at the Singapore/Vietnam match the other day. I was surprised at what he had to say. Apparently, Singaporeans are ugly, ugly people who are uncivilised and barbaric. As an eyewitness, Luqman was there himself, and he told me that the Snigaporean spectators were jeering at the Vietnamese national anthem when it was played. However, when the Majulah was being played, the Vietnamese had the courtesy to keep quiet. That says alot about the Courtesy campaign in Singapore. Adding to that, the Singaporea spectators were hurling vulgarities at the vietnamese, calling them names like BUTO and such. Thankfully the vietnamese didn't understand them. Otherwise, the whole football match could have been a massacre.
So as i was on the bus heading home, i thought to myself. Shouldn't we be the civilised people our "Holistic" education system moulded us to be? Shouldn't we have more courtesy, and the brains to think what was right and what was wrong? So much for our reputation for being an education hub; ironically, we are breeding hooligans in this little island.
This post may sound very harsh, but i'm just trying to get these things off my chest. Honestly, I expect better of Singaporeans, and personally i felt happy that the Lions lost.
Nuff Said.
Truly,
Hunni.
Such Fol-de-rol and Fiddle-dee-dee of courses!
Labels: Get that thing off my chest., I'm Just Saying